Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana
2021 MAY 20
Governance > Miscellaneous > Health
Why in news?
- The Central government has approved setting up 22 new All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) so far under Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY) out of which six are already fully functional, informed the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
About the scheme:
- The Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY) was announced in 2003 with the objectives of:
- Correcting regional imbalances in the availability of affordable/ reliable tertiary healthcare services
- To augment facilities for quality medical education in the country.
PMSSY has two components: -
- Setting up of AIIMS like Institutions
- Each of these will have 100 UG MBBS seats and State of the art Modular OTs and diagnostics facilities.
- Total 22 new AIIMS have been announced so far under this component of which 6 AIIMS are already functional.
- Upgradation of Government Medical Colleges (GMC)/ Institutions.
- Each up-gradation project would be adding 8-10 Super Speciality Departments. And round 15 new PG seats.
- 75 Projects have been considered under this component under different phases:-
Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana primarily targets:
(a)Increased health insurance coverage
(b)Better Medical infrastructure
(c)Improved Mother and Child Health indicators
(d)None of the above
Answer to Prelims question