Geography > Human geography > Human geography
Why in news?
- The Sahariya were always bedeviled by malnutrition but the recent soaring food prices have made them extremely vulnerable.
About Sahariya Tribe:
- The Sahar, Sehariya, or Sahariya is an ethnic group in the state of Madhya Pradesh and some districts of Rajasthan.
- They are classified as Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups.
- They consider everyone in an endogamous group to be brother and sister; marriages have to be arranged from other clans.
- The Sahariya community considers every adult member part of a governing council which is headed by a patel.
- They speak Munda language
- The Sahariyas are expert woodsmen and forest product gatherers.
- They are particularly skilled in making catechu from Khair trees.
Sahariya tribe, recently in news, was largely inhabited in which of the following states/UTs in India?
(a) Madhya Pradesh
(d) Andaman and Nicobar