Shinkun La tunnel
Geography > Places in news > infrastructure
Why in news?
- National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation Limited (NHIDCL) has speeded up the detailed project report (DPR) work on Shinkun La Tunnel.
About the tunnel:
- Shinkun La is a mountain pass in the route from Manali to Kargil.
- On completion of this tunnel, the Manali-Kargil highway will remain open throughout the year.
- If constructed the 13.5 Km long tunnel would be one of the longest high-altitude tunnels.
About National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation
- It is a fully owned company of the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Government of India.
- The company promotes, surveys, establishes, designs, builds, operates, maintains and upgrades National Highways and Strategic Roads including interconnecting roads in parts of the country which share international boundaries with neighboring countries.
Shinkun La is a mountain pass which connects:
(a)Manali to Kargil
(b)Spiti valley to Tibet
(c)Tawang to Tibet
(d)Sikkim to Bhutan
Answer to prelims question