2023 AUG 21
Science and Technology > Energy > Renewable energy
Why in news?
- The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy has notified the green hydrogen standard for India.
What is the definition of Green Hydrogen given by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy?
- Green hydrogen is the hydrogen derived from renewable energy sources, either via electrolysis or biomass conversion.
- The definition also encompasses green energy preserved in energy storage systems.
About Green Hydrogen:
- Hydrogen is the most abundant element – it’s estimated that 90% of all atoms are hydrogen atoms, comprising around three quarters of the total mass in the universe.
- There are no natural hydrogen deposits on earth, it has to be extracted from other compounds by a chemical process.
- The vast majority of industrial hydrogen is currently produced from natural gas. This process is known as steam methane reforming
- Producing hydrogen in this way is sometimes referred to as brown or grey or blue hydrogen
- Hydrogen can also be produced by the electrolysis of water.
- This is by using an electric current to break water, H2O, into its component elements of hydrogen and oxygen.
- If this electric current is produced by a renewable source (e.g. Solar PV or a wind turbine), the clean hydrogen produced is known as green hydrogen.
- The report predicted that hydrogen demand in India could grow more than four-fold by 2050, representing almost 10% of global hydrogen demand.
Which of the following statements are correct regarding Green Hydrogen?
1. It is produced by splitting water into hydrogen and oxygen
2. It can be transformed into electricity or synthetic gas
3. It can be mixed with natural gas to burn thermal power plant
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1,2 and 3