2023 SEP 26
Science and Technology > Energy > Renewable energy
Why in news?
- Scientists have made a significant breakthrough in solar panel technology using a nanoscale “ink” coating.
- This innovation could potentially accelerate the transition to renewable energy sources. The researchers found that this coating can enhance the stability of perovskite solar cells, making them suitable for mass production.
- Silicon is the most common semiconductor material used in solar cells. However, now efforts are being made around the world to develop cost-effective options.
- Perovskites have emerged as a leading candidate for eventually replacing silicon as the material of choice for solar panels.
- A perovskite solar cell consists of a perovskite layer as the light absorber, sandwiched between the electron transport layer (ETL) coated with transparent conducting glass and hole transport layer (HTL) coated with a metal back contact electrode.
- They represent the most exciting approach to build solar cells that are inexpensive and highly efficient.
Consider the following statements regarding Perovskite :
1. The efficiency of solar cells have increased due to these materials.
2. It is a type of mineral that was first found in the Ural Mountains
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2