Geography > Places in news > Places in news
- Persian Gulf has been in news recently in the context of ongoing issues in Iran
ABOUT PERSIAN GULF:
- It is a shallow marginal sea of the Indian Ocean that lies between the Arabian Peninsula and southwestern Iran.
- The body of water is an extension of the Indian Ocean (Gulf of Oman) through the Strait of Hormuz.
- It is bordered by Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates and Oman.
Strait of Hormuz:
- It is a strait between the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman. It provides the only sea passage from the Persian Gulf to the open ocean and is one of the world's most strategically important choke points.
Q. Strait of Hormuz connects:
- Persian Gulf and Gulf of Oman
- Red Sea and Mediterranean Sea
- Red Sea and Atlantic Ocean
- Gulf of Oman and Indian Ocean
Answer to Prelims question